May 3, 2021
Don’t put your beloved bottles of whiskey away just because summer is right around the corner. Yes, when it comes to winter drinking, brown spirits typically reign. Dark rums and whiskeys, with their delectable hints of caramel and spice, are usually the go-to liquors when the temperature drops, while vodka is saved for the warmer months. That might be a traditional way to do things, sure, but that doesn’t mean that you have to.
Plus, there are a bunch of refreshing summer whiskey cocktails to try! Our favorite? The whiskey sour. A classic whiskey sour is made with whiskey, fresh lemon juice plus egg white—and it’s been satisfying thirsty drinkers for over a century. The idea of adding an egg white to your cocktail may sound odd, but it’s a key ingredient that balances the drink’s tart flavor and creates a smoother texture. One of the best things about the whiskey sour is that it’s customizable, so you don’t have to add an egg if you don’t want to. Just be sure to use fresh ingredients, all of which you can get from Gopuff, when you try out our whiskey sour recipe below.
Whiskey Sour Recipe
- Prep: 4 minutes
- Total: 8 minutes
- Serving: makes 1 cocktail
- 2 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1 oz freshly of squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ oz simple syrup
- 1 egg white from a medium egg (optional)
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Add cocktail ingredients together. Pour the bourbon, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake the ingredients together without ice. Add the lid to the top of the cocktail shaker and shake well for 12 seconds. Fun fact: When you shake the cocktail ingredients together before adding the ice, it’s called a “dry shake.”
- Add ice and shake again. Add in the ice, seal the top of the shaker and shake for 10 more seconds until it’s chilled.
- Strain the mixture. Place the strainer on top of the shaker and pour the cocktail into a rocks or coupe glass.
- Don’t forget to garnish. Spear a maraschino cherry with a cocktail pick and drop it in.
- Enjoy. Sit back, relax and taste the rich flavors of your new favorite cocktail.