January 11, 2022
We built our business by doing things a bit differently and are committed to providing people the choice to earn their way — either as an independent contractor on-demand or pre-arranged, or as an employee working at one of the more than 550 facilities across 43 states.
For nearly a decade, the company has been developing a highly complex operational business model focused on designing and refining the vertically integrated platform. Yakir Gola and Rafael Ilishayev, who together founded the company as college freshmen in 2013 and serve as co-CEOs, delivered over 5,000 orders and stocked and packed orders in the company’s first facilities.
Yakir and Rafael’s experiences working alongside teams informed their desire to build a company that provides people with both flexible work and growth opportunities within the company.
Unmatched Flexibility & Choice
Today, the company has tens of thousands of locally-based delivery partners, operations and kitchen associates, and general managers — helping ensure that our teams on the ground come from and reflect the communities we’re in.
Gopuff offers full-time or part-time employment opportunities at every facility across all of our markets. Employees working in facilities and those delivering on the app have the opportunity for professional advancement within a location as well as the chance to explore other areas within the business that interests them.
The average earnings for facility associates are just over $15 an hour before benefits, with the ability to be promoted and grow their careers into other roles. Virtually every segment of the business offers field employees growth and advancement opportunities. Many of the field employees have moved on to try different sectors of the business, including operations, customer service, retail, delivery operations, and program and project management roles.
From January through October 2021, nearly 70% of Shift Lead roles were filled by internal employees.
“I began working as a delivery partner with Gopuff as a way to earn a little extra cash. I quickly began to see a place where I could make an impact and have upward mobility within the company. Over the last four years, I have been fortunate to have the opportunities to work with great leaders. Now as a District Manager, I know I can have even more impact by mentoring others who have the same passion that I had when I was a driver.”Brandon Coleman, District Manager of North Carolina
Those looking for flexible, independent work, have the choice to deliver around their schedule, either on-demand or by signing up for a pre-arranged delivery block. On average delivery partners earn an average of $16-$24 an hour, which is among the highest in the industry. According to a recent survey, nearly 70% of our delivery partners told us they choose to deliver part-time and 87% said they need the flexibility to work when they want.
Benefits and Opportunities
As a community-driven company, Gopuff is committed to creating a best-in-class employee experience, focused on competitive pay, robust benefits, and support. We hire both full-time (30+ hours per week) and part-time (20+ hours per week) employees to work in our locations.
Full-time and part-time field employees working an average of 20+ hours or more per week are eligible for the exact same benefits as the rest of the company, including:
- Quality health insurance plans, including medical, dental, and vision
- Company-paid basic life and disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement program
- Free counseling sessions and other employee assistance programs
At each of Gopuff’s locations the company provides many different positions, with each person playing an important role in the operations for that facility. Facilities employ anywhere from half a dozen to several dozens of associates. Roles include:
- Operations Associate: Gopuff Operations Associates take on the task of operating and maintaining an efficient system of inventory management and processing orders. They complete a variety of warehouse responsibilities including picking, packing, receiving product, inventory management, and interacting with our delivery partners.
- Kitchen Associate: Kitchen Associates support all daily activities associated within our fresh food kitchens. Working with the Kitchen Lead out of our capsule kitchens alongside our micro-fulfillment centers, you will create an enjoyable experience for our customers by providing prompt service, and quality food while maintaining a clean and comfortable kitchen environment.
- Shift Lead: Shift Leads operate in an assistant manager capacity ensuring that a manager is always available to troubleshoot issues and solve problems for our employees and customers. Shift Leads will take on stretch assignments to increase their knowledge base and expose them to different aspects of the business, which allows them to specialize in areas that can make dramatic improvements to the performance of their location.
- General Manager: General Managers operate as the chief manager of a location. They lead a local team of Operations Associates and Shift Leads, oversee all operations, and maintain metric and Key Performance Indicator expectations. General Managers focus on providing an outstanding customer experience and ensure Gopuff products and deliveries are received, packaged, and delivered efficiently.
As a company, we are proud of building the instant delivery category, while also providing people the choice to work and earn in the way that best meets what they need and want. We look forward to continuing to provide this choice and where possible, creating professional development opportunities for people to grow their careers within the company.