November 23, 2020
If you’ve ever made a burger recipe using fresh ground beef, you probably know all the things that can go wrong. You can make the burger patty too large, resulting in uneven cooking. You can underseason the beef, resulting in a lack of flavor. You can overhandle the beef, resulting in tough meat. On top of all that, you have to decide which side you’re on in the “best way to cook a burger” fight. Is it the grill? In a skillet on the stove? On a griddle?
For something that seems so simple, it’s a bit tricky to get it right. That’s why we put a foolproof ingredient in our burger recipe: frozen burger patties that can be cooked in a skillet on the stove, in a microwave or on a grill.
How to Cook a Burger the Easy Way
For this easy burger recipe, start with a quality frozen beef patty, such as Ball Park Original Frozen Beef Patties. We’re on Team Skillet when it comes to frozen burgers—mostly because it’s a little less work than prepping a grill, but feels a bit more elevated than using a microwave—so we recommend heating your patties in a skillet on the stove until fully cooked, about 8–10 minutes.
Next, place a slice of American cheese on top of each burger patty and let it melt, about 2 minutes.
American cheese is the best cheese to use here because of how well it melts onto the patty, creating that gooey texture that great cheeseburgers are known for. American cheese also has a very mild flavor, meaning this cheeseburger recipe is great for kids and picky eaters.
After the cheese melts, slide the cheeseburger patty onto a bun and add your favorite toppings. Take a page from one of the most iconic burgers around, the “cheezborger” served at Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago, and use pickles, onions, ketchup and mustard only.
Easy Burger Recipe
Prep time: 1-2 minutes
Total time: 12 minutes
- Quality frozen beef patties (we like Ball Park Original Frozen Beef Patties)
- American cheese slices
- Hamburger buns
- Toppings: ketchup, mustard, pickles, etc.
- Place frozen burger patties in a skillet over medium heat, cook for 8–10 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness, turning occasionally
- Place 1 slice of cheese onto each cooked burger patty & cook for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted
- Add cheeseburger patty to bun & top with your preferred condiments
Note: if cooking burgers in the microwave or on the grill, follow the burger package cooking instructions for step 1.
Shop This Recipe
- Ball Park Original Frozen Beef Patties
- Horizon Organic Sliced American Cheese Singles
- Ball Park Hamburger Buns
- Vlasic Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
- Heinz Tomato Ketchup
Easy Sides & Desserts
- Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream chips
- Mac and cheese
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Mug cake