December 1, 2020
If you think kids can only enjoy cereal bars on a school bus or during their lunch break, you’re mistaken. Cereal bars are pretty versatile. They make an easy make-ahead breakfast or snack for kids, but have you tried them with coffee as a grownup? Since most cereal bars are pretty sweet, opt for black coffee. Both hot coffee and cold brew work well.
How to Make Cereal Bars
Making no-bake cereal bars requires very little effort and time commitment. It’s waiting for them to cool down and protecting them from your kids (or hungry adults) that will take some effort.
The best thing about cereal bars is that you can make them your own. You’ll need some marshmallows and your favorite cereal. For best results we suggest mixing 2 to 4 different kinds of cereal. Some people add chocolate chips, raisins, nuts or peanut butter to their bars. Others like to add spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. Some make their breakfast bars with flavored marshmallow fluff. The opportunities are endless. Below you will find a classic cereal bar recipe that you can adjust to suit any picky eater.
Easy No-bake Cereal Bars
Total time: about 1 hour, 6 minutes
- Marshmallows (12 oz)
- 3 Tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing a baking dish
- 6 cups of 2–4 varieties of your favorite cereal (Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Cap’n Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.)
- In a large bowl, melt 12oz marshmallows and 3 Tbsp butter in the microwave, stirring occasionally. Make sure to use a large microwave-safe bowl (ideally, ceramic). This step should take approximately 2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of your favorite cereals & stir.
- Grease a baking dish. Pour cereal mixture onto the dish and smooth using a spatula.
- Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until cooled.
Shop This Recipe
- Kraft Jet Puffed Marshmallows
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Honey Nut Cheerios
- Fruity Pebbles
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Land O’ Lakes Butter
- Horizon Organic Whole Milk – optional, if to be consumed with milk
- Chicken Parm
- Deli Sandwich
- Pasta Bolognese