December 1, 2020
Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, Chicken Parm or simply Cheesy Goodness, is an Italian dish that originated in the US. Exciting, right? Chicken parm is usually served as a main dish or on top of pasta. Does it make for a fancy dinner? Yes. Does it take forever to make? No.
The dish consists of breaded chicken, marinara sauce and lots of delicious melted cheese. There are some variations on the recipe, but as long as you make it crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside you made it right.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
We suggest using chicken breast or chicken thighs. Even though some cooks prefer to make baked chicken parmesan, the classic recipe calls for frying prior to baking. To get this step right, a) use good olive oil, b) make sure the pan reaches 375–400ºF and c) if you’re making several portions, fry in batches.
Then top chicken with marinara sauce and oodles of cheese and bake. Scroll down for detailed instructions.
What to Serve with Chicken Parm
Chicken Parmesan is commonly served with pasta, such as penne or fettuccine, or sides such as Caesar salad, roasted garlic broccoli or roasted Brussels sprouts. If you want to make a nice dinner, don’t forget about wine and dessert. Chicken parmesan is one of those dishes that pairs well with most red wines, so consider getting a red blend, a merlot or a pinot noir.
If you’re doing an Italian night, continue the theme with dessert. Serve your guests or loved ones tiramisu, gelato, cannoli or Italian cookies.
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Prep time: about 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cups bread crumbs
- 1 jar marinara sauce (24 oz.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. penne rigate pasta
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Set up your station with 1 small bowl & 2 plates. Whisk eggs & milk together in the small bowl. Pour flour on 1 plate and breadcrumbs on the other plate.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper, then coat chicken in flour. Dip flour-coated chicken in egg/milk mixture, then dip it in breadcrumbs & set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chicken & cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
- Lay chicken out in a baking dish. Top with marinara sauce and both types of cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF until cheese is melted & chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. (Don’t forget to check the safe minimum cooking temperature chart!)
- Serve with pasta and more cheese!
Shop This Recipe
- Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
- Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Jason Plain Bread Crumbs
- Newman’s Own All Natural Marinara
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Kraft Finely Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- De Cecco Penne Rigate Pasta
Easy Sides & Desserts
- Ready Pac Bistro Chicken Caesar Salad
- Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch
- Milano Double Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie