December 1, 2020
Pasta bolognese is a simple and tasty family-style Italian recipe that the whole crew will enjoy! Pasta is a crowd-pleaser, but spicing up the typical marinara sauce with some ground beef and mozzarella is a great way to vary up your meals. If you or your kids complain about always eating the same few things, keep this recipe in your back pocket for pasta night!
All you have to cook is the pasta and some beef in a separate pan until ready (about 160° F). Then just mix in some cheese and marinara with your other ingredients! The trick? Mastering perfectly cooked pasta.
How To Cook Pasta
You can cook pasta in just about anything: a deep pan, big pot, small pot, you name it. Just make sure you have enough room for the water to boil and the pasta to be fully submerged without spilling over.
Salting the pasta water is key to flavorful pasta. The general rule of thumb is to add 1 tablespoon of salt for every 4 quarts of water when it reaches a boil. Once you add the pasta, give it a good stir to ensure the noodles are submerged and not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Have your taste testers nearby early on to check when your pasta is ready! Follow the cook time instructions on the box for al dente pasta, which gives it a firmer texture in each bite. Test your pasta every few minutes to ensure you don’t overcook it. Keep in mind that it should be chewy, but a little firm in the center. Once it’s ready, drain and serve with your meat sauce and cheese. Bon appétit!
Pasta Bolognese Recipe
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 box penne rigate pasta
- Iodized salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil; salt and add pasta.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked.
- Add marinara sauce to ground beef; stir to combine.
- Once pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and return to the pot.
- Add sauce, meat mixture and mozzarella to pasta; toss to combine until cheese begins to melt.
- Top with additional mozzarella and serve.
Shop This Recipe
- Newman’s Own All Natural Marinara
- Thousand Hills Grass-Fed Ground Beef 80/20
- Kraft Finely Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- De Cecco Penne Rigate Pasta
- Morton Iodized Salt