December 1, 2020
Quesadillas are so simple to make, they’re almost intuitive: Put cheese on a tortilla and heat it up. But if you want a really great quesadilla that’s perfectly gooey on the inside and golden brown on the outside, this quesadilla recipe is for you.
How to make quesadillas the right way
To make a great cheese quesadilla, decide if you want to make a traditional Mexican quesadilla or a Tex-Mex quesadilla.
For a more traditional Mexican quesadilla, choose corn tortillas and Oaxaca, a Mexican cheese with a stringy mozzarella-like texture. You can also use Chihuahua cheese, asadero cheese or manchego cheese—basically any cheese that melts easily.
For a Tex-Mex quesadilla, go with flour tortillas and Mexican shredded cheese, which is typically a blend of cheddar, colby and Monterey Jack cheese. You can also use mozzarella cheese if you want a stringier texture.
Both Mexican and Tex-Mex cheese tortillas should be cooked in a frying pan on a stovetop vs. warmed in the microwave. Stovetop cooking ensures that the tortilla stays crisp and not soggy.
To make your quesadilla on the stove, simply melt butter in a frying pan and then add a tortilla. Add shredded cheese of your choice to the tortilla and then top it off with a second tortilla. Cook until the bottom turns golden brown, about 3–5 minutes, then flip it and cook the other side for an additional 3 minutes.
For a lighter meal, use only one tortilla and simply fold it in half. For a more substantial meal, try adding rotisserie chicken or cooked beans. Tortillas are also great for hiding healthy vegetables, such as spinach, bell peppers and even small pieces of cooked broccoli.
Round your meal out with salsa, hot sauce, sour cream or guacamole.
Prep time: 1–2 minutes
Total time: 7–10 minutes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 soft tortillas
- ½ C Mexican shredded cheese (6 oz)
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan over medium heat
- Place one tortilla in the pan, cover with shredded cheese, and place second tortilla on top
- Cover pan with a lid and cook for 3–5 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown
- Flip the quesadilla and cook for another 3 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown
- Cut into triangles and serve with your choice of toppings, such as salsa, hot sauce and sour cream (or Greek yogurt for a healthier option)!
Shop This Recipe
- Old El Paso Hard & Soft Taco Dinner Kit
- Food for Life Brown Rice Tortilla
- Organic Valley Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Land O’ Lakes Butter
- Breakstone Sour Cream
- Chobani Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Tostitos Salsa Chunky Medium
- Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
Easy Sides & Desserts
- Vegan bean dip
- Buffalo chicken dip
- Cereal bars