December 1, 2020
Do you love tacos? Do your kids love tacos? If the answer is an enthusiastic “yes,” you’ve come to the right place. This delicious taco recipe can be adapted to your taste and the ingredients you have at home.
If it’s one of those empty fridge days, don’t sweat it, just get all of your ingredients delivered by us and get cooking within minutes. Plus, you know, you can stay in the comfort of your home (bed). We’ll count you convinced.
How to Make Tacos
Making tacos can be a great activity to prepare with your partner or kids. You’ll need to choose your protein (we like ground beef tacos and ground turkey tacos the most!) and your toppings, and face the ultimate choice between hard shell and soft shell.
If you’re ambitious enough, you can make homemade taco seasoning by mixing chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin, sea salt and black pepper. Adding ¼ of a teaspoon of each should make approximately 10 servings. If you need your tacos fast, just use a taco seasoning mix.
We recommend using an enameled cast iron or stainless steel pan for browning meat, rather than non-stick/teflon or cast iron. The latter does not play well with acids found in the sauce. For the sake of speed and immediate enjoyment, we suggest few toppings.
It doesn’t mean you can’t go all out and add fresh veggies, corn or chorizo. Go with your creative gut and don’t forget to let your kiddos contribute some ideas. Yes, you might end up with candy corn in your taco, but it’s not the worst thing in the world, right?
Ground Beef Tacos or Ground Turkey Taco Recipe
Total time: about 15 minutes
- Hard and/or soft taco shells
- Taco seasoning to taste
- Taco sauce
- Ground beef OR ground turkey (1 package, 12-16 oz). For a meatless version, opt for Beyond burger or sausage
- ½ cup Shredded Mexican cheese
- Hot sauce to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a pan, brown beef or turkey until fully cooked. It should take between 7 and 10 minutes. Stir and break the pieces continuously with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon so the meat cooks evenly.
- Add Old El Paso seasoning and 1 cup water; simmer until water cooks off.
- Warm taco shells in the preheated oven for about 3 minutes.
- Assemble your tacos.
Shop This Recipe
- Old El Paso Hard & Soft Taco Dinner Kit (includes taco seasoning and taco sauce!)
- Thousand Hills Grass Fed Ground Beef or Organic Prairie Frozen Ground Turkey or Beyond Burger
- Organic Valley Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce